Sunday, July 1, 2012

Agra, Uttar Pradesh, India @ The Taj Mahal




This was one of my most memorable experiences I had in India.  The Taj Mahal, a monument of unfathomable beauty.  I am not just talking about the beauty of it, but the immense love in why the momument was constructed in the first place. Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan built this momument in memory of his beloved wife Mumtaz Mahal, whom he fell in love with at first site, and later died in child birth.  The Taj Mahal is the epitome of love and romance and will leave you mesmerized.  One of the Seven Wonders of the world, this monument attacts tons of domestic and international tourist from all over the world.

Ironically, I came to the Taj Mahal on Valentines Day.  It was not planned, just happened that way.  Valentines Day is the most popular time to see the Taj Mahal, and it was jammed packed !  Everyone it seems was flocking to the Taj Mahal that day.  I had an extremely hard time finding a room, but luckily after much searching I found a room.  When coming to the Taj Mahal, best to come another day other then Valentines Day, but then again, I think it added to the magic.  As I entered into the gateways of the Taj Mahal, I was smitten and bewitched.  Words can not describe the beauty of the Taj Mahal and it's surroundings.  I had chills running through me and some tears came from my eyes.  Wow, I was so captivated, words do not give it justice, you truly have to see with your own eyes to see and feel the real beauty of this monument.

To get here from Delhi, it is approximatley 220 km.  The fastest is by air and Agra has it's own airport.  Another option is by train, which is very economical and I personally love to take the trains thoughout India, it is very exciting.  There are a good network of trains going to Agra throughout India.  The main trains connecting Agra to Delhi are; Palace on Wheels, Shatabdi, Rajdhani and Taj Express.  There are buses also that connect from Delhi to Agra.  The trains and buses being the most economical.  Another option is to take a taxi.  I took a taxi from Jaipur to Agra, it was a nice ride and you don't have to deal with the crowds, but it is much more costly then trains and buses.

When coming to the Taj Mahal watch your wallet and pocketbooks, and do be alert and watch for scams, but overall there should be no problems.  This is a famous attraction, attracting many from around the world, so there will be crooks and thieves around.  My taxi driver organized a tour guide for me when I arrived so I would not be alone walking around the area, and they can also explain to you all the history about the Taj.  One last note, foreigners pay a different fee to enter the Taj Mahal.  When I went I paid 750 rs and Indians pay 10 rs.  If planning a trip to India, the Taj Mahal can not be missed, it truly is a remarkable monument, and you will be left spellbound.



2 comments:

  1. I went to Agra way back in 2009. The trip was amazing. I also went to Fatehpur Sikri. I can understand your feeling. :) I got to know about you from India Mike.

    Love007 or Love Sharma :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visit my blog too

    www.itravelilive.com

    ReplyDelete