Thursday, March 14, 2013

Rome, Italy



Rome, I was completely impressed and fell in love with this historic city.  Ancient ruins everywhere you walked.  If you love history, you will definitely love this city, I love history, so of course I was in awe when I arrived.  I stayed on Via Nazionale Street, this is a great location to stay at.  It is only 20 minute walk to the Coliseum.

When I arrived at that Coliseum, I was taken back.  Then walking around the Coliseum, I just had this incredible feeling.  Wow, am I actually at the Coliseum !   What a feeling !  You learn about this in history class, but when you are actually at the Coliseum, the feeling is overwhelming.  At least that is what it did to me.  We all know the Coliseum is an oval-shaped amphitheater situated in the heart of Rome, and one of the most exclusive landmarks of Rome.  The Coliseum had its foundation laid between 70 and 72 AD,  the amphitheater was completed in the 80 AD.  At the time of its construction, the Coliseum had the capacity of seating around 50,000 spectators. Initially, the amphitheater was used for holding gladiatorial contests and public spectacles, such as; animal hunts, executions, re-enactments of famous battles and dramas based on Classical mythology.  The games played in the Coliseum are believed to have taken the lives of about 500,000 people and over a million wild animals.  Just a little history facts I thought I throw in :-)))  If you pass by the famous Trevi Fountain on your way to the Coliseum don’t forget to throw a coin in the fountain for good luck.

Another must see is the Roman Forum, wow, I was really blown away.  I find the Roman Forum is one of the most fascinating attractions in Italy, and top ancient site to see.   The Roman Forum or the Forum Romanum, was once the center of ancient Rome, the place where the Romans used to meet, do business, politics and shop.  In 46BC Julius Caesar built a new forum because the old one was getting small for the growing population of the city.  The Roman Forum today is an area of ruins of temples, arches and basilicas.  Walking through this ancient city had me just as overwhelmed as the Coliseum.  After seeing the Coliseum and the Roman Forum the same day, I was ready to relax and have some nice Italian wine.

Visiting the Vatican City and St. Peter’s Basilica is a one day event only you will need to spend out of your trip to Rome.  The Vatican is its own independent state and the smallest independent country in the world.  Regardless of your religion, you must visit the St. Peter’s Basilica.  You will appreciate it immensely whether your Catholic or not.  I waited in line for almost 1.5 hours.  The line when I got there was never ending.  It is worth the wait.  I was utter blown away by the architecture.  St Peter's is the most renowned work of Renaissance architecture and remains one of the largest churches in the world.  St. Peter's basilica is regarded as one of the holiest Catholic sites.  Enjoy the pasta and panini's when in Rome, it is really good.  When you visited all the sites, just roam around Rome, you will feel you are Rome-ing  back in time. 



No comments:

Post a Comment