Monday, November 19, 2012

London, UK





My list of countries and places I have seen, I normally do not come back once I seen it, unless I was really taken.  As for India , every visit is a wonderful experience, and I never get bored with India , it just captivates me every time, and as you know, I have been there so many times.  London was this experience for me.  I would take another holiday to London .  I loved the whole feel of this place, and the people were so courteous.

Upon arrival at the Heathrow International Airport ,  I jumped on a bus to Westminster where my hotel was booked.  This is the best area to stay in as far as I am concerned.  Totally charming, classic, and very quaint, I was totally smitten with Westminster .  It is in walking distance to the Parliment, Westminister Abbey, Buckingham Palace, and the London Eye, just to name a few.  There is so much to see in this area, but the ones I mentioned, you must see.  I grab a map and walked to all the sites I wanted to see, and I got my share of exercise each day.

Westminster area is very easy to get around, especially someone like me that seems to get lost in my own neighborhood.  My trip to London was one of my best trips.  Going to the Buckingham Palace was a treat.  The tickets sell out fast for the day, and I was lucky to get a ticket for the last tour that day.  Luckily, I arrived in line that morning to get my tickets for that day because apparently they sell out by late morning.  I was kind of disappointed that I could not take pictures inside of the palace, but was honored to just have the opportunity to walk through, it was breathtaking.  My other favorite spot was the London Eye, it is situated on the River Thames.  The picture of me above is on the River Thames.  They have games and entertainment along the river, it is a nice place to chill out and enjoy some entertainment.  And of course, how could I forget the Westminster Abbey.  A treasure of paintings, stained glass, textiles and other artifacts.  Westminster Abbey is also the place where some of the most significant people in the nation's history are buried or commemorated.  More of a historical site then a religious site, Abbey is a work of architectural genius.

Onward to India now, of course.  I stayed in India a few weeks and coming back home most of the airports in the northeast were close due to a storm coming in.  So when I arrived back in London for my connecting flight back home, my connecting flight was cancelled to Newark , New Jersey .  I was stuck in London for the weekend now as my next flight was not scheduled out till Monday.  Totally unexpected, and now I get to see more of London , what a surprise, my vacation carries on.

British Airways put me in a hotel by the airport so now I had the opportunity to checkout this side of London .  Searching through the internet for things to do, I seen this weekend was the famous Notting Hill Carnival.  I jumped on The Underground AKA The Tube, which is the cheapest way to get around London .  A few tubes and I arrived in Notting Hill.  Did I luck out or what ! Notting Hill Carnival comes once a year and is one of the biggest carnivals of the year.  The carnival last for 3 days and has attracted one million people in the past year, making it one of the largest street festivals in the world.  It was jammed packed with people everywhere and police stationed at every corner.  I was having a blast so I order some rum punch and hung-out for a few hours watching all the activities taking place.  What a treat for me to be stuck in London for the weekend and have the opportunity to join in on the festival.  If you come in August make sure you see the Notting Hill Carnival, you will have a blast.  No clowning around now, go see it :-)))


No comments:

Post a Comment