Monday, September 3, 2012

Munich, Germany



Munich, Germany, I love this place, it is a fun city that draws folks just about any time of year, but it is crazy around Oktoberfest.  So if you plan on coming during that time you will want to reserve hotels well ahead in advance, the high season months are between May and September.

Munich is one of my favorite European cities.  The people are really so nice and helpful.  I was trying to figure out a location I wanted to go to,  and standing there with a map in my hand trying to figure out which way to go, strangers would come up to me and offer to help without me asking, odd in most places.  I also found Munich's railway station to be the best and easiest to get around, as I am one of those persons who gets lost in their own backyard, lol, but I manage comfortably and with great ease without getting lost.  They have the S-Bahn and U-Bahn around the city and I enjoyed riding on the rail, German engineering at it's best.

 A few top things to see is The Neuschwanstein Castle.  It is the world's most famous castle.  This Castle is nestled in the Bavarian Alps.  King Ludwig II designed his dream castle with the help of a theatrical set designer. Again, Oktoberfest is the best time to come to Munich, so I hear, I came in August, but Oktoberfest is the world's largest fair and one of the best festivals in Germany.  Every year, over 6 million visitors from all over the world come to Munich to drink beer, eat sausage and join together in song.  The festival is famous for its huge beers in heavy steins and a good helping of German hospitality.

The English Garden is one of the largest city parks in the world, the English Garden in Munich offers beer gardens, lakes, and recreational activities such as biking, horse back riding, and sun bathing. If you walk around and feel like having a drink, stop over at the Chinese Tower, one of the biggest Beer Gardens in Munich.  Another site, The Deutsches Museum, this is one of the largest and oldest science museums in the world, attracting more than 1.5 million visitors every year.  The museum itself is located on an island in the middle of the Isar River, and houses over 17,000 exhibits. You could easily spend a number of days wandering around this museum.

I love Munich and definitely plan on coming back again in the future.  The German hospitality,  the quaint and charming ambiance of the city, is not easily forgotten, neither was their bread, the best bread I have tasted.


1 comment: